Sunday, April 1, 2012

Best & Worst Product Experience

Best: iPhone 4
Throughout the day there are a variety of different products that I utilize. One of the most used and most efficient products I use on a daily is my iphone. I recently just switched from a blackberry to iphone and it really did change my life. I had endless amounts of issues with that phone so having one that actually does what I need it to be satisfying. The iphone 4 is not the latest model of its line however it is still relatively new. Its physical and internal attributes are extremely simple and can be easily adapted to. Whenever I interact with my phone its very personal, the fact that I have to use my finger to select things defines my experience with my iphone. Whatever I need to do is at my fingertips, literally. There are icons that guide me to my desired outcome. Apples entire philosophy is about simplicity and efficiency and that is exactly what my iphone does for me. The iphone is probably apples primary example of what their product design entails. Because I support them as a company and use their products, they are very meaningful to my everyday life and me. With the technological advances in products like this, I do not think they can ever truly be disposable. It may be an older generation model but the main component of the product will be able to deliver. I personally do not think any improvement need to be made, however software updated really help my phone stay in tune with all its functions.

Worst: Sony Touchscreen Remote  
One of the most irritating feelings is when a product does not perform the way it is designed to. This frustration is what happens whenever I use the touch screen sony remote control for the tv in my house. The remote is programmed so that all the remotes needed, dvd, cable, audio box etc, are all composed into one device. It’s a great idea and would be extremely useful if it worked regularly. Sometimes it works and it really is efficient and effective, however more times than others, it doesn’t. Either the tv is left on or the tv is off but the sound is still on etc. after going through a list of yes or no questions in order to scope out the problem, it works. Whenever the remote does work properly, I appreciate it so much more, but since it doesn’t, it hold any true value to me. Instead, it prevents me from even watching tv because I know just turning it on is an obstacle itself. Remotes are always long-term until the tv stops working or the batteries stop, that’s one thing I definitely appreciate. Long-term products always create a stronger bond with people because they are apart of their lives for a long, if not all, period of time. The product concept and idea is sufficient, the problem lies within its performance. If the sensor for the remote and tv was stronger, it might be easier for it to respond quicker. The design layout is easy and responsive however the design of the physical remote can be altered. Right now it is a small rectangular shape that feels awkward to hold in your hands. If the remote was designed to fall naturally in somebody’s hands, the first impression of their experience is already off to a good start. If a person can interact with their product before even using it, it sets a positive route. Other than the look of the remote, the software design is simple and therefore should be kept the same. 



No comments:

Post a Comment